Position Summary: The Cloud Solution Architect is responsible for supporting the Department of Education’s (DOE) overall planning, configuration, engineering, and design of Cloud-based services. The Cloud Solution Architect will develop and coordinate integration of new technology and deployments and conduct performance monitoring and support processes for cloud technologies.. The Cloud Solution Architect will lead the development of standards documentation by working with constituents to define and document processes, and will be responsible for providing highly technical management and administration of state-of-the-art, complex, and secure cloud-based services. The Cloud Solution Architect will also provide supervision and senior staff support of networks, associated network devices, hardware, and software by planning, designing, configuring, installing, testing, troubleshooting, integrating, maintaining, enhancing, documenting, supporting, and managing their security and performance. Performs related work.
Reports to: Director, Storage and Virtualization Engineer
Direct Reports: N/A
Key Relationships: Works with Senior Engineers to support the life cycle of the current cloud services portfolio and standards. Works with Senior Cloud, Network, and Systems Engineers to build, support, and maintain new and existing services. Works with Network Operations, Server and Storage, Wireless, and Support groups to develop and implement new standards and designs to improve or streamline the DOE’s Cloud Strategy and Services. Works with the PMO and business owners to develop new projects, including proposals, designs, and implementation plans.
- Establishes standards, processes, and best practices in solution architecture to ensure high-quality deliverables and the documentation of solutions in accordance with the DOE educational vision.
- Performs complex, hands-on solution design, solution architecture, architecture roadmaps, concepts, and developmental tasks required in support of current and new projects.
- Manages a variety of technical tasks as part of designing cloud-based solutions and provides technical support for both current and future needs.
- Identifies and translates system and business requirements into highly technical client-oriented design documents to illustrate solution strategy and deployment plans.
- Surveys the market landscape for current trends, directions, and methods to enhance existing cloud services and architecture. Maintains a high level of technical knowledge of all relevant software releases and their interaction with various partner platforms.
- Develops, organizes, and performs extensive testing scenarios for various solutions and validates equipment and specifications in the core network, ensuring that designs meet DOE standards and organizational goals.
- Leads the creation of the configuration deployment procedures and trains integration and field engineers on various networking configurations.
- Develops a consensus around critical architecture decisions and communicates architecture direction to business and IT teams.
- Serves as the in-house expert and authority in troubleshooting complex cloud-based technologies.
- Develops project structure and documentation implementing ITIL processes and methodology.
- Collaborates with project managers during the project deployment phase, including documentation of all installation, customization, and integration efforts.
- Communicates requirements and specifications to project teams by analyzing business requirements in developing technical network solution designs and framework; leads teams during the implementation stage and monitors/reviews solution implementation.
Professional/vendor certification in LAN and/or WAN administration. In addition, all candidates must have the following:
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time (not classroom based) experience in local area network and/or wide area network planning, design, configuration, installation, implementation, troubleshooting, integration, performance monitoring, maintenance, enhancement, and security management; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and six years of satisfactory full-time (not classroom based) information technology experience of which at least 2 years must have been as described in "1" above; or
- A satisfactory equivalent of education and/or experience equivalent to ʺ1ʺor ʺ2ʺ above. Education may be substituted for experience on the basis that 30 undergraduate semester credits from an accredited college is equivalent to 6 months of experience. A master’s degree in computer science or a related field from an accredited college may substitute for one year of experience. However, all candidates must have at least one year of satisfactory (not classroom based) full-time information technology experience as described in ʺ1ʺ above.
In addition to meeting the minimum Qualification Requirements:
Incumbents may be required to update existing and/or obtain additional professional industry-standard certification(s) for current and future technical environment(s) in which they may be assigned to work, as
- One or more of the following certifications:
- WS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Architect
- Microsoft Certified: Azure DevOps Engineer
- VMware Cloud Management and Automation certifications
- Experience with multiple hardware/software and complex heterogeneous systems environments.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, to executive staff, business sponsors, and technical resource personnel.
- Ability to conduct accurate situation assessments, document findings, and preparation of reports.
- Ability to articulate complex technical designs.
- Ability to organize/prioritize tasks requested by management.
- Project management experience.
- Experience in RFP development and evaluation for large-scale procurements.
- Experience supporting information systems in a large enterprise technology environment.
- Experience in architecting and designing Microsoft-centric technical solutions based on industry standards using Azure IaaS, PaaS and SaaS capabilities.
- Experience with any of the following: Azure, Azure Stack, Azure AD.
- Knowledge of cloud security controls including tenant isolation, encryption at rest, encryption in transit, key management, vulnerability assessments, application firewalls, Security Information and Event Management (SIEM), etc.
- Expert level knowledge of: Visio, PowerShell, and JSON.
- Experience building and supporting mission critical technology components with Disaster Recovery (DR) capabilities.
- Extensive, real-world experience designing technology components for enterprise solutions and defining solution architectures and reference architectures with a focus on cloud technologies.
- Experience developing complex data pipelines and data flow tasks with varieties of data sources and destinations using Azure Data Factory.
- Azure LogicApps and Power Automate-workflow development experience.
(Internal candidates who are selected for this position and who currently hold comparable or less senior positions within the DOE will not earn less than their current salary.)
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability and/or grant funding.
As of August 2, 2021, all NYC Department of Education new hires (who are not currently employees of the City of New York) must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to beginning their employment unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. More information can be found in Executive Order 75.
DOE Non- Discrimination Policy
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.