Position Summary: The Translation and Interpretation Unit of the NYC Department of Education (DOE) is hiring a Urdu translator to work on translation, editing, and proofreading of a variety of documents for dissemination to Limited-English-Proficient (LEP) parents and communities. While the daily focus will be on translation of written documents, the position may also require interpreting as a secondary function. Performs related work.
Reports to: Team Leader
Direct Reports: N/A
Key Relationships: Collaborate with language team members to create standardized terminology and style guides.
- Prepares written translations of DOE documents for distribution to LEP parents and communities.
- Uses translation tools/software and other programs (e.g., word processing, desktop publishing, workflow management) to streamline the translation process.
- Reviews translated materials submitted by vendors or other DOE staff members and edit for accuracy, grammar, style, and consistency.
- Represents the DOE in all matters related to the culture and the language of the Translator.
- Provides simultaneous and consecutive interpretation at scheduled events throughout the school system, on occasion. This may entail the use of interpreting equipment.
- Provides over-the-phone interpreting or sight translations on occasion.
- Proficiency to interpret and translate from the required foreign language into English and vice versa, with clarity and accuracy, in a professional setting and one of the following:
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and two (2) years of satisfactory full-time experience, in a professional setting, performing oral interpreting and written translating from the foreign language required for the position into English and vice versa; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college including or supplemented by 24 semester credits in the required foreign language; or
- A satisfactory combination of education and/or experience equivalent to “1” above. However, all candidates must have a four-year high school diploma and the ability to interpret and translate from the required foreign language into English and vice versa, with clarity and accuracy, in a professional setting.
- Familiarity with the New York City public school system.
- Ability to function and meet aggressive deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Knowledge of SDL Trados.
- Experience working with virtual platforms, e.g., Microsoft Teams, Zoom, etc.
- Ability to type in Urdu using a computer.
(Internal candidates who are selected for this position and who currently hold comparable or less senior positions within the DOE will not earn less than their current salary.)
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application.
NOTE: The filling of all positions is subject to budget availability and/or grant funding.
As of August 2, 2021, all NYC Department of Education new hires (who are not currently employees of the City of New York) must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination prior to beginning their employment unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religious or medical reasons. More information can be found in Executive Order 75.
DOE Non- Discrimination Policy
It is the policy of the Department of Education of the City of New York to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, caregiver status, consumer credit history, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law), predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation. For more information, please refer to the DOE Non-Discrimination Policy.